Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The state of iPhone competition: the first attack (part 1)

Finally, after two years, a smart phone is being released that can effectively compete against the iPhone on nearly all levels. As an iPhone owner and user you'd think I wouldn't be quite as happy about this, but the truth is I think the Apple needs a serious competitor in the touch screen smart phone market. For one thing, Apple's blatant neglect to put such things as MMS and copy and paste functionality on the iPhone are nothing short of unacceptable, and, until now, they have remained completely unpunished for it. That will, however, no longer be the case when the Palm Pre is released later this year.


First of all, from what I have seen, the Pre is the first well thought out touch screen smart phone released since the iPhone. Everything I have seen until now has been crap after crap after crap. The likes of LG, Samsung, and other phone companies have simply been releasing desperate, hacked together attempts at grabbing a piece of the iPhone's market. They have horribly thought out user interfaces, barely usable hardware, and awful execution of features on almost every level. The only decent UI I've seen is Google Andriod, but the phone it was released on was one of the ugliest pieces of hardware I have ever seen (despite it's performance and features). Even the latest Blackberry storm, which I expected good things from, was horrible upon my first use with it. The interface is slow, unresponsive, and the clickable touchscreen, which may look nice on paper, is nothing but an annoying gimmick.

In part 2 of my rant on iPhone competition, I'll be elaborating on some of the Palm Pre's noteworthy features that just might bring the iPhone to it's copy-and-paste-crippled knee's once and for all!!

No comments: