Monday, February 23, 2009

Thoughtful Quote from Eleanor Roosevelt







As I was exiting a professor's office earlier today I noticed something above his light switch I hadn't noticed before. At first, it didn't seem like much, but once I read it I realized it was actually an impressively insightful message with some universal truths.


If you can't see the picture, it reads:

Great minds discuss ideas;
average minds discuss events;
small minds discuss people.
learn from the mistakes of
others. you can't live long
enough to make them all
yourself. to handle yourself,
use your head; to handle others,
use your heart. many people
will walk in and out of your
life, but only true friends will
leave footprints in your heart.
                    -Eleanor Roosevelt

The first three lines got me thinking even more about my MTV experience the other day. Reality shows engross themselves completely in talking about people. What they do, what happened to them, what they're saying about each other.
The media in general has an unfortunate tendency to follow this trend.
In fact, I've been watching news on Chris Brown and Rihanna for the past week, and I'm not going to forget the month of non-stop Anna Nicole Smith coverage I saw.
What happened to actual thought?
What happened to thinking about ideas instead of mindlessly concerning ourselves over the lives of others?

Chew on something substantial for a change.

No comments: