Monday, March 23, 2009

Does iPhone OS 3.0 kill the Palm Pre?

I recently blogged about the new update to the iPhone operating system dubbed iPhone OS 3.0. And although there are some added features that should have been there from the beginning (*cough* Copy and Paste *cough*) there are also some relatively significant features that push the iPhone OS to the next level.

Now, I had to ask myself, does this put it on par with the upcoming Palm Pre? Obviously, I can talk about neither of them from personal experience, but I can talk about them in terms of their features and what I have seen of those features. And there is one huge feature that the iPhone still lacks compared to the Palm Pre, and that is multitasking. The ability to have multiple applications open at one time makes it infinitely easier and faster to get things done and makes the device much more useful. Not only that, but from what I have seen the Palm Pre seems to do this without sacrificing the speed and fluidity of the user interface. Another innovative feature of the Palm Pre that the iPhone lacks is Synergy, which is a fancy term they use to say that it brings together information you already have in all of your online accounts like Facebook and Gmail. The feature doesn't sound like much, but it looks like it will be surprisingly useful.

However, I will admit that Apple definitely included features that take it closer to the Pre, such as its search feature, and it's background notifications. Even with that, I still think the iPhone has a lot to do before it "kills" the threat posed by the Pre.

No comments: